Palliative Care provides specialist health care and practical support to people who have an advanced disease or life limiting illness, ultimately aimed at enhancing their quality of life. At Melbourne City Mission, we provide expert symptom management and pay particular attention to physical, spiritual, social and cultural needs, ensuring that dignity and quality of life are at the forefront of everything we do.
ABC TV's Lateline program worked with Melbourne City Mission recently on a story profiling our Palliative Care Service.
The video can be viewed by clicking here or on the image above. A written piece is also available to read on the ABC website by clicking here.
The piece is framed within the context of the Parliamentary End of Life Choices Inquiry, which Melbourne City Mission was highly engaged with. You can read this submission in the Reading Room section of our website or by clicking here.
Clients referred to Melbourne City Mission’s palliative care service have access to:
- Specialist palliative care nurses seven days per week
- A 24-hour paging service for acute symptom management, with after-hours Royal District Nursing Service support if visit is needed
- A specialist palliative care medical consultant
- A Palliative Care Registrar
- Counselling and spiritual care
- Grief and loss counselling
- Bereavement support
- Volunteer support.
To find out more about Melbourne City Mission's Palliative Care service, please click here.