2017 Victorian Homelessness Conference: Talking Solutions
In 2017, Melbourne City Mission’s FRMP State-wide Conference will join forces with the Council to Homeless Persons Victorian Conference “Talking Solutions” (13 & 14 September, Melbourne Town Hall).
Melbourne City Mission’s FRMP component will be delivered as the Conference’s Specialist Youth Homelessness Stream.
100 free spots are available for members of the FRMP community. Please express your interest in attending the conference by email at email@example.com with the following information:
- First and last name
- Phone number
What’s going on this year? (Session snapshot)
- Music Therapy – FRMP workshop
- Leaving Care – Panel discussion
- Exploring the contemporary causes of family breakdown that contribute to youth homelessness – Workshop with Dr Justin Barker, Institute of Child Protection Studies, Australian Catholic University and Paul Turton, Melbourne City Mission
- Trauma and adolescent family violence: Delivering better homelessness responses – Keynote presentation with Dr Anita Morris, Principal Family Violence Practitioner, DHHS
- Resolving homelessness for young care leavers – Second day Keynote presentation with Professor Eoin O’Sullivan
- Effective support post-housing – Panel discussion. People with a lived experience of successfully transitioning out of homelessness share their knowledge about what works, and what doesn’t, and pose some challenges for the homelessness sector.
- Trauma informed support – Presentation/workshop with Dr Gregory Nicolau, clinical psychologist
- The learning and employment connection – How do we support children and young people experiencing homelessness to remain connected to education and/or employment?
For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.chpconference.com.au
2016 FRMP 9th State-wide Conference
The 9th Melbourne City Mission FRMP Statewide Conference was held at the Yarra Valley Lodge, Chirnside Park on 1 – 2 June 2016.
The theme of the conference was Thrive: new ideas for ending youth homelessness, which will consider three sub themes: thriving families, thriving community and thriving sector. Presentations and workshops will examine evidence-based best practice approaches that support families and communities to ‘thrive’ and not just survive.
Some images from the 2015 8th Statewide FRMP Conference
FRMP 2015 Conference highlights
'Building Connection: exploring the Value of Connection for Young People' was the 8th Statewide FRMP conference to date and took place over two days, in March 2015. We welcomed 112 people who were pleased to hear from our key note speakers including: Dr Phil Crane, Rudy Gonzalez, and Dr Karen Sutherland. Attendees had the option of attending two of the five workshops provided, and here are some of their overall feedback/comments:
- 'Great key note speakers – frank and thought provoking'
- 'Inspiring and makes you reflect on practice'
- 'New concepts, some fresh ideas and good contacts'
- 'It's reinforced that I'm putting theory into my work practices'
- 'Gained new insights into how trauma can affect development'
- 'It's improved my networks and strategies to facilitate young people to rebuild connections'
- 'It was good to review old skills'
- 'Feel professionally refreshed when sharing my experiences with others'
- 'Learnt more about connection that will inform my practice'
- 'Lots of practical ideas for my tool box'
- 'A better insight about working with families'
- 'Making sure I don't look at the notion of family through my eyes'
- 'You cannot work with a young person in isolation'.
Thank you to all those who made this event possible and one worth repeating.
The team are in the process of reviewing and evaluating the conference in order to plan the next one!