About our service
Melbourne Youth Support Service (MYSS) is a statewide homelessness access point service for young people aged from 16 to 24, providing information, short term support and referral for young people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.
We are based at Frontyard Youth Services in the CBD. Our service offers face-to-face and telephone services and we are responsible for updating the available crisis youth refuge bed vacancies daily.
Is this support for me or my client?
We can provide support if:
- you are aged between 16 to 24 years of age
- you are homeless or at risk of homelessness
- you require holistic support to achieve your goals and develop your life skills
- you are experiencing barriers or difficulties accessing other supports
How can this support assist me or my client?
- provide young people with information about and referrals to:
- provide assistance or advice for young people to deal with Department of Human Services Centrelink
- speak on behalf of a young person
How we work
Homelessness Access Points are the primary means of accessing assistance for people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Through Initial, Assessment and Planning (IAP) Services, Homelessness Access Points assess the needs of people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness and assist them to:
- Maintain their current housing, if possible
- Access crisis/emergency housing, if they have nowhere to stay
- Access immediate, short-term, focused support to divert them from homelessness or minimise the impact of homelessness (known as Interim Response 2)
- Access homelessness support programs (including those specifically for young people)
- Apply for longer term housing, such as private rental or public housing
- Access medium-term ‘transitional’ housing, where available, to provide affordable accommodation until longer term housing is secured.
What geographical areas do we cover?
We are a state-wide service.
How can I or my client access this support?
Any young person can present to Frontyard for access to MYSS. In order to access The MYSS Intensive Youth Support service, you must be referred by MYSS or another access point after having an Initial Assessment and Planning meeting with the access point.
You can do this by contacting us on the below details.
Address: 19 King Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
General enquiries: (03) 9614 3688
We are available Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm and Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays 10am to 6pm.
If you are in crisis and need an immediate response, please call Lifeline on 13 11 14 who provide 24-hour crisis support or 1800 825 955 for 24 hour homelessness assistance.