What is required of me when I become a volunteer?
- Preferably be aged 18 years of age or over.
- Undergo a Police Check (and sign a Statuary Declaration if required).
- Attend an interview at our Fitzroy North Office for approximately 1.5 hours. This will be conducted Monday to Friday between the hours of 9am and 3pm. A time will be arrange with one of our Coordinators.
- Maintain contact with the Coordinator.
- Be flexible, friendly, and adaptable to change.
Do I need to reside in a particular area to become a Community Visitor Scheme volunteer with Melbourne City Mission?
Melbourne City Mission service a number of suburbs in the north, west and inner city areas. If you are not local or are in close proximity to any of the suburbs listed in our geographical areas (listed below), we will not have access to an aged care home for you to visit.
| Community Visitor Scheme geographical areas
Is your suburb is not listed? Please contact us on 0499 018 768 /0497 003 800 or 03 9486 8436 to find an organisation in your area.
What skills/qualities do Volunteers need?
- Have an understanding, appreciation and respect for the elderly
- Be reliable and resilient
- Have fantastic listening skills
- Be confident in visiting independently
- Demonstrate good judgement
- Preferably be over 18 years of age
- Be willing to undergo a Police Check as part of the screening process
How much time do I need to commit?
Once matched we expect volunteers to visit for at least 12 months. Minimum visits are fortnightly but a weekly visit is encouraged, especially at the beginning to establish the friendship.
Can I go away on holidays?
Yes. If you are away for more than four weeks you will need to advise the co-ordinator so they can advise the facility or service provider. If it is less than four weeks some alternatives are to send a card, make a telephone call or write a letter to the resident.
What do CVS volunteers agree to?
- Visit a designated resident on a regular basis (at least once a fortnight) for the purposes of friendship and companionship.
- Provide a record of the dates of visits to their CVS Co-ordinator.
- Respect the rights of residents including confidentiality, privacy and dignity.
- Exercise a duty of care at all times. Community Visitors duty of care is using commonsense and exercising reasonable caution in any activities undertaken with the resident.
- Inform the co-ordinator if they are experiencing any difficulties with visiting.
- Notify the co-ordinator of any accident or incident that occurs whilst they are visiting.
- Notify the co-ordinator if they intend to cease involvement on a temporary or permanent basis.
- Inform the co-ordinator if they wish to stop visiting a particular resident.
Are there tasks CVS volunteers cannot do?
- Monitor standards provided at an aged care home.
- Be involved in investigating or following up complaints.
- Displace relationships between the resident and their family, staff or other relationships.
- Have access to residents' care or personal records or become involved in the financial affairs of the resident.
- Sign or witness any documents for or on behalf of the resident.
- Administer any medication to the resident.
- Provide nursing or personal care to the resident.
- Interfere with or have any involvement in the day-to-day running of the aged care home.
- Replace nursing, activities or therapy staff in aged care homes.
- Visit other residents without the approval of the Community Visitors Scheme Co-ordinator.
I work full-time, can I still volunteer?
Yes. The benefits of the CVS are that visiting your resident can fit in with your schedule as well as the resident. Weekend visits can be easily arranged.
Note: The majority of residents have a routine of retiring after dinner mainly due to medications and aged care living. Therefore evening visits are not recommended.
I am a CVS volunteer. How do I provide you with feedback about my visits?
All CVS volunteers are required to fill in a quarterly report form so we can obtain your feedback about your visits and know how often you have visited. Please fill in our CVS Quarterly Reporting Form to submit your feedback at the end of every three months.