Are you passionate about raising the profile of young people in Melbourne? Or interested in playing a key role in implementing social change campaigns? Consider becoming a Youth Action Group (YAG) Leader!
What is a Youth Action Group Leader?
The Youth Action Group (YAG) is a group of emerging young leaders (ages 18–24) who are passionate about raising the profile of young people in Melbourne. The YAG will work collaboratively with other young people over the course of one year to create and deliver two social change campaigns that address social inclusion, civic and economic participation and other important issues affecting young people in Melbourne.
- The opportunity to network with – and learn from – other emerging and established leaders in Melbourne
- Opportunities to influence community attitudes and social policy
- Expert briefings on major social issues, including current trends in youth issues
- Training in media, marketing, events management, public speaking and advocacy
- Leadership development
- The opportunity to be linked in with a professional mentor
- Opportunities to attend MCM related events and conferences
- Graduation celebration, certificate of recognition and a professional reference
About the role
The YAG will work collaboratively with other young people over the course of one year to create and deliver two social change campaigns annually that address social inclusion, civic and economic participation and other important issues affecting young people in Melbourne.
YAG’s social change campaigns will be 100% decided on by the group members. The campaigns will seek to benefit other young people and the wider community by raising awareness and educating the community on issues that affect young people. The social campaigns will challenge stereotypes, reduce stigma and create positive and lasting social change aimed at improving the wellbeing of all young people.
- Regularly attend, and actively participate in, meetings as decided by the YAG (weekly/fortnightly)
- Contribute to the development and promotion of campaigns, projects, strategies, and events that relate to the YAG’s work
- Collaboratively design and deliver two projects a year
- Willingness to stretch yourself and work cooperatively with a wide range of people
- Be respectful, open, and honest at all times
Skills & experience
- Write a short paragraph introducing who are you and the qualities and experiences that make you stand out.
- Can you please describe your connection to the City of Melbourne - i.e. do you live, study or work in the city or spend leisure/social time in the city?"
- What interests you in becoming a member of the YAG?
- Do you have experience working in similar groups? If yes, can you provide more details?
- What skills do you hope to develop through your involvement in YAG?
- What current issues effecting young people are you passionate about?
- Is there anything that would affect your ability to commit to YAG throughout the year? (It’s ok if there is. It’s just so we know!)
Melbourne City Mission encourages young people with a lived experience to apply for this position.
A position description containing further information is attached here.
How to apply
For further information on the application process, please click here.
Applications should include a current CV and address the key selection criteria.
Please send all applications to YAG Facilitator, Kirsten Van Diggele KVanDiggele@mcm.org.au or call on 0447 247 163 for more information.
Applications close at 5pm on 10 January 2019. We reserve the right to interview prior to the closing date.