About our service
WYPIN is for young people aged from 12 to 25 years from diverse backgrounds who want to make a difference. WYPIN uses a range of leadership, capacity building and advocacy strategies that engage culturally diverse youth across the western region. This program is independent and is directed by young people.
WYPIN has five core functions:
- to engage young people (especially those recently arrived to Australia) through recreational activities and camps
- to provide training programs to build the capacity of young leaders
- to educate young people how to positively influence change
- to campaign against racism and discrimination, and
- to deliver workshops that promote multiculturalism and inclusion to business, community organisations and schools.
WYPIN's Committee of Management is comprised of young people aged 12-25 years. At its core, WYPIN is a youth empowerment, youth advocacy group. WYPIN plays an important role in advocacy and policy development and are seen as a critical voice on diverse youth issues in the Western region of Melbourne.
Is this support for me or my client?
If you are aged from 12 to 25 years and want to make a difference in your community, you can join WYPIN.
How can this support assist me or my client?
Through WYPIN you can:
- gain leadership opportunities
- develop projects and campaigns
- volunteer to be on a working group and/or youth committee.
Some recent WYPIN projects include
- Lead On Again – a leadership program for diverse young women aged 16-24 in the west
- RAD – a school holiday recreational program to engage newly arrived young people
- Leadership Camp– an intensive annual leadership development camp to build capacity in emerging leaders.
- ‘Embracing Diversity’ social enterprise – a social enterprise training and employing diverse young people as facilitators of cross-cultural training for public, private and community sector organisations
- Peer-education – training young people to deliver educational workshops in school settings on issues of racism, bullying, leadership, youth participation and more.
Who has this support assisted:
Read Trinh's story. Two years ago Trinh wasn’t in a very happy place. She was withdrawn, disheartened and at risk of becoming involved in 'dodgy stuff', as she describes it. Find out how Trinh's life turned around when she joined WYPIN.
What geographical areas do we cover?
Young people who are living, working or studying in the Western region of Melbourne can join WYPIN.
How can I or my client access this support?
To join the WYPIN, www.wypin.org.au
or contact the WYPIN Facilitator on the below details.
We are located at 3/6–12 South Road, Braybrook, VIC 3011. To make an enquiry, please fill in the form below or call us on 03 8311 5421 from Monday–Friday, 9am–5pm.