What's it all about?
The Youth Action Group (YAG) is a group of emerging young leaders (ages 18–24) who are passionate about raising the profile of young people in Melbourne. The YAG will work collaboratively with other young people over the course of one year to create and deliver two campaigns that champion the voice and accomplishments of Melbourne youth, and the issues that they care about.
The overarching goals for the YAG are to foster Melbourne’s next generation of civic leaders, create connections between diverse groups of young people, and make a difference in Melbourne.
The YAG also provide their services as a consultative group to Government departments, corporate and NGO’s wishing to increase their level of youth participation through developing youth led strategies, projects and ideas.
The YAG will also offer their services to Melbourne City Council as a consultative group at times when Council wishes to consult with young people on new strategies, projects or ideas.
You can read our Youth Action Group Manifesto here (PDF).
Youth Action Group members receive
- The opportunity to network with – and learn from – other emerging and established leaders in Melbourne
- Opportunities to influence community attitudes and social policy
- Expert briefings on major social issues, including current trends in youth issues
- Training in media, marketing, events management, fundraising and advocacy
- Graduation celebration.
What does it take?
- Regularly attend, and actively participate in, meetings as decided by the YAG
- Contribute to the development of campaigns, projects, strategies and events that relate to the YAG’s work
- Maintain the momentum of the project
- Stretch yourself and work cooperatively with a wide range of people.
- Open minded and good communication skills
- Ability to work well within a group setting
- Enthusiastic and supportive of the work of the YAG and Melbourne City Mission
- Strong social conscience and desire to make a difference in the lives of young people in Melbourne.
- Attendance at YAG meetings (approximately a minimum of 2 hours a week or fortnight as determined by the group)
- Attend training.