About our service
Our Detour service works with young people aged 12–24 who are dealing with problems at home and feel they need to move out or who have recently left home and are having trouble finding a secure place to live.
We aim to permanently divert vulnerable young people away from homelessness and get them back on track ASAP. We work with young people who are newly homeless and those who are at imminent risk of becoming homeless, giving them access to the resources they need to strengthen their family and social networks and enhance life opportunities.
Detour is an Innovation Action Project funded by the Victorian and Australian Governments through the Victorian Homelessness Action Plan. We work in partnership with the Department of Human Services Centrelink, schools, Kildonon UnitingCare and Kids Under Cover.
Is this support for me or my client?
We can support you if:
- you are aged 12–24 years of age
- you have recently left home or are thinking about leaving home
- you have connections to the Western Metropolitan area of Melbourne (including Melbourne CBD) as well as the Bayside/Peninsula area and the Greater Shepparton area
How can this service assist me or my client?
If you feel like you need to leave home, we can help. We can:
- provide access to intensive support from a team of youth coaches including family mediation and links to counselling and community support
- provide access to Kids Under Cover studio accommodation options to support young people to stay connected with their families and their communities. including our early intervention bed located in our WRAP refuge for short term respite
- help stabilise employment and education and provide ongoing youth coaching/case management support
- help improve difficult relationships at home, find a safe place to live and get you back on track after a tough time
- offer help with education, employment, renting, legal issues, health, sports, social activities and being independent
- help you make a plan to get you where you want to be
- provide access to an early intervention studio located in our WRAP refuge for short term respite if required
- provide support via social media if you feel you would prefer not to speak to anyone face-to-face or via telephone
Who has this support assisted?
Read Ruby's story, one of the young people we supported through our Detour program. Ruby was only 16 when she left home. Having experienced family violence for a number of years, Ruby had enough. Ruby was referred to the Detour service by DHS Centrelink after she applied for the ‘unreasonable to live at home allowance. Through various supports provided, Ruby was assisted by a Detour Youth Coach to develop her own plan to get her life back on track.
How can I or my client access this support?
- In order to access this service, you or your client will need to call one of our youth coaches. Please call 1800 338 687 (Western Melbourne & CBD areas) or 1800 474 993 (Bayside/Peninsula area) or 03 5831 6157 (Shepparton area).
- Our youth coaches will conduct an initial assessment over the phone and ask for a referral form to be completed if the young person meets all the required criteria.
- Once received, our youth coaches will contact the young person to arrange an appointment.
What geographical areas do we cover?
We work with young people who have connections in Western Metro Melbourne, Frankston or Greater Shepparton areas including the DHS areas of Brimbank Melton, Western Melbourne, Bayside Peninsula and Goulburn.
||Phone & hours
||Sunshine: 3/6–12 South Road, Braybrook, VIC 3019
Frankston: Brotherhood of St Laurence,
24–26 High Street, Frankston,
|1800 338 687 (free from a landline). Available Mon–Fri, 9am–8pm & Sat–Sun,10am–6pm
1800 474 993 (free from a landline). Available Mon–Fri, 9am–8pm & Sat–Sun,10am–6pm
||Kildonon UnitingCare, 219 Wyndham Street, Shepparton, VIC 3630
||03 5831 6157. Available Mon–Fri, 9am–5pm
Alternatively drop into Frontyard Youth Services
, 244 Flinders Street, Melbourne, Mon–Fri, 9am–8pm and Sat–Sun, 10am–6pm and ask about the Detour program. We are also co-located in:
- Sunshine Centrelink, 35–45 Dickson Street, Sunshine, VIC 3020, every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 1pm–4.30pm
- Melton Centrelink, Shop OFF01 Woodgrove Shopping Centre, 533-555 High Street, Melton, VIC 3337, every Tuesday from 1pm–4.30pm
- Frankston Centrelink, Cnr Davey Street & Young Street, Frankston, VIC 3199, every Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 1pm–4.30pm and
- Shepparton Centrelink, 298 Maude Street, Shepparton VIC 3630, every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 1pm–5pm
If you are in crisis and need an immediate response, please call Lifeline on 13 11 14 who provide 24-hour crisis support or 1800 825 955 for 24 hour homelessness assistance.